One in three older adults fall each year, but there are steps you can take to avoid falls and remain safe in your home.
- Make sure your glasses prescription is up to date, and get your eyes checked every 1-2 years.
- Install grab bars and seat risers to make your home safer.
- Stay active. Keep up with exercises to help your balance and strengthen your legs.
- Make things easier for yourself. Put things you use often in easy-to-reach cabinets and make sure there are railings on both sides of stairs.
- Wear good, sturdy shoes that fit well even when you’re in the house.
- Keep living spaces well lit. If you need to, use night lights at night or put lamps nearby for use in the middle of the nights.